Monday, January 15, 2007

Quiche Fairies


Isn't life great the way we learn so much every single day and with every single mistake?

Luckily for me, I've made a lot of mistakes lately. Not big mistakes, but more like the kind of mistakes that creep up on you when you're not paying attention.

The clients that Miss NoNo and I did personal chef work for a couple weeks ago were just crazy enough to hire us back again! I don't know why I found myself a teeny bit surprised when they said they loved all the food, but somehow, I was.

So there we were, back for a repeat performance and a whole new menu. This one included quiche. But see, there's this important little detail. I never made quiche before! And for the life of me, I couldn't find a recipe that didn't include cheese, which my client can't eat.

So I did what I do a lot. I improvised. Little bit o' this, little bit 'o that. A homemade crust, some sauteed spinach and mushrooms with fresh dill, a handful of breadcrumbs, and some egg & milk. I was praying to the quiche fairies to make it all be ok while trying not to sweat bloody balls in my terror that it might just all be a massive flop.

The craziest thing happened. They took one bite and said "This is the best quiche we've ever had!", to which I mentally responded "Holy shit! How the hell am I ever going to repeat that if they want it again???". But of course, I just smiled graciously and told them how pleased I was that they liked it.

Thankfully, the quiche fairies didn't let me down. And you didn't even know there was such a thing as quiche fairies, now did you???

But now of course, I was going to have to go on a quest to remember exactly how the hell I had made it so that some day, it'll be like I'm this fancy quiche pro who can make divine quiche in her sleep. Or so my clients will think.

So I started tonight, and above is a picture of the end result. I'm still tweaking the recipe so I'm not going to post it just yet. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, writing this with a full belly and a half full glass of wine. No complaints here, my friends... no complaints at all.

Thank you quiche fairies!

No comments: