Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Mushroom Hunting, and more


So it was New Year's Day. As in like, yesterday. I slept until 11 am and still managed to awake feeling sleep deprived after a long and intense couple of weeks.

My body was still recovering from a big personal chef gig I did a couple of days prior. I do these gigs here & there; I don't do much active seeking out of clients, cause I've already got my hands full with two jobs and a music career. But sometimes the jobs come my way and I just can't say no. And every time I do it, I learn so much (and it seems to wreck my body a little bit, since I'm not doing it regularly).

This time, I learned that it's a good idea to know how to de-bone fish if you're going to be cooking a lot of it! And also, that it's a good idea NOT to drink a lot of wine while you're on the job, even if it is the client who is so graciously offering it to you. Even if it is a several hundred dollar bottle of wine that makes you feel like Cinderella at the ball when you taste it...(she says, drooling like Homer Simpson). Remember folks, liquor, small bones and sharp knives can easily add up to disaster if you're not careful! Don't try this at home, unless you have Miss NoNo there to help.

Anyway the job turned out just fine in the end, and it looks like there's going to be more work where that came from. Now if there were only 8 days in a week.

So back to New Year's Day - I vowed to make no plans and to just be lazy and hunker down, but my wonderful friends (who are big foodies and badass musicians too) Steve & Patsy called to ask me to come mushroom hunting with them and their new baby Monique, and I just couldn't refuse. It was a gorgeous day, the company was divine, and duuuuude, I picked wild chanterelle mushrooms w/ my own two hands! One more reason to love living in the Bay area. I wouldn't try to identify wild mushrooms on my own, but it sure was fun to be along for the ride. I guess I better get busy collecting mushroom recipes, eh?

1 comment:

Emily Coker said...

huhhuhuhuhuh.. shrooms.