Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Summer, Slaw, and a Big Sigh of Relief


My life is like a rollercoaster. When I'm down, I'm WAY down in the bottom of the well. But when I'm up, damnit it's a glorious thing.

Take today for instance. After a long stretch of having lots of physical pain and back issues, I FINALLY woke up feeling good.

And after work, for the first time in weeks, I felt strong enough to take a good, long hike in the redwoods. And suddenly, everything in my world felt right again. This whole day has been like one long sigh of relief.

After my hike, I whipped up a perfect light salad for a summer evening, which I adapted from the most awesome cookbook Super Natural Cooking that I recently picked up (check out the recipe for Crunchy Slaw Salad - I adapted it by using both green and red cabbage, and added a tiny bit of finely diced jalapenos, and a few sprigs of cilantro).

Then, I hauled my sweaty self, along with a bag of food and other treats, over to a friend's house. This friend has been feeling a little under the weather and I wanted deliver a little summertime sunshine (and hell, I gotta do that while I've got it, cause who knows when I'll fall back into the well???).

As I was headed over, the air was warm and blustery, and the sky was pink and grey and blue and intoxicating, and I couldn't think of anywhere else I'd rather be, or anything else I'd rather be doing.

After a short but sweet visit with said Friend (and two other Friends whom I adore and who happen to live there too, one of them being furry and four-legged!), they sent me home with freshly baked brownies. And as I got into my car & drove West, the clock read 9:18 pm, and the sky was just barely turning deep dark blue above me, and ahead of me far in the distance, the sun was just fading away, leaving a beet-red smear on the horizon. I rolled the windows down and let the warm air rush in, and yes, it truly was a glorious thing.

No comments: