Sunday, June 17, 2007

Homemade Ice Cream, and Pearls of Wisdom from my Dad...

Dad!

This one's for you. Even though we just got off the phone, I can't help but reiterate that I wish you were here tonight to enjoy my very first batch of homemade ice cream. Knowing that it's over 100 degrees in the Phoenix area right now, I can't help but think that this would so hit the spot for you. I went with the deep, dark chocolate flavor for my maiden voyage with the new ice cream maker. It is churning its chocolate-y magic as I write these words.

There are so many reasons why I am thankful for you, Dad - not the least of which is all the ways you've helped to instill in me a deep appreciation of food. People, you need to taste my dad's meatballs and homemade pasta! How lucky am I that I got to grow up eating this stuff??

Dad, I wish I could enjoy a plate of pasta with you right now, and a glass of spicy red wine. And THEN after that, we could eat the homemade chocolate ice cream!

Another thing you taught me is the simple practice of common courtesy. You taught me to always say "hello, goodbye, please and thank you". This simple but essential practice has stayed with me throughout my life and still serves me well to this day.

I still remember so fondly how when I and my siblings were small and had already gone to sleep, you'd wake us up to eat popcorn and watch Johnny Carson. This was important business! You can't sleep when there's fresh popcorn in the house!

And it wasn't that long ago in fact, that I was whining about my love life (or lack thereof), feeling really lonely. It was you who told me that maybe it was just less complicated that way. Well, the jury is still out on that one, but I sure am glad that I can talk to you about such matters, and always appreciative of the wisdom that you share with me. Hell, I'm happy that I am lucky enough to have two parents who love me and have always been there for me. That is never something to take for granted.

So happy Fathers Day, Dad! The ice cream is still churning, just like the wheels in my head. I do look forward to the day that I can make homemade ice cream for you and Mom, and we can eat it out on your patio on a 90 degree summer evening in the desert, under deep blue, star-filled summer skies.

Until then, I am sending my love...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love yer dad too! you learned good things from a swell guy :)

Soup and Song said...

Indeed! And I love your dad too, for that matter! Let's hear it for all the dads!!!