Sunday, April 01, 2007

Homemade Corn Tortillas Kick off the Birthday Week!



So yay!

My birthday is one week from today, and thusly, I've decided it's time to start celebrating RIGHT NOW.

So, I finally bought myself a tortilla press today.

But wait - let's back up. On Friday at work, our CEO announced that on account of our record sales month, we were all getting an extra paycheck this month (!).

I've said it before and I'll say it again - my job rocks! I work for the coolest people ever!

So, since said bonus is arriving conveniently just before my b-day, what else to do but spend the weekend buying presents?

First, I got a bought a copper fire kettle and a bunch of mulch and plants for the back yard, and Miss NoNo did her thang making it all look real purty. We have this arrangement. I buy, she does the work. It's a nice arrangement for both of us.

So then I finally bought the tortilla press, and we called a spontaneous barbeque, and before we knew it, there was tequila and lime marintated chicken, quinoa and black and pinto bean pilaf, homemade fire roasted salsa, exquisite hand-made corn tortillas, veggie kabobs, and lots lots more.....

And there were golden voices singing beautiful songs around the fire, picking guitars, swilling wine, enjoying fine company underneath the light of the full moon.

It was the kind of night that makes me so happy to be alive, so happy to be among treasured friends. So happy to finally be able to make my own tortillas!

Damnit, once you've made your own tortillas, you'll never go back to the store bought kind!

I'm not going to post the recipe because you can find it just about anywhere... it involves masa, water, and salt. So simple. So delectable. So perfect. Such a great way to start the birthday week. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that perhaps I am a Mexican trapped in the body of an Italian.

No matter, whatever or whomever I am... I am just happy to enjoy this perfect evening which comes to me after a particularly stressful and sad several weeks. Tonight is good. And for that, I give thanks. To my wonderful employers, to Miss NoNo and all my other sweet friends. You are what gets me through, do you know that ? ? ?

x o x o x o x o

No comments: