Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Unexpected Sweetness arrives Just in the Knick of Time


Oh thank goodness for little things, which really are the big things.

It's been a rough several weeks. One day up, next day down, every day new. Welcome to the rollercoaster of my life.

Yesterday rain, today, sunshine. I stopped by my post office box this morning to discover to my utter appreciation and delight, a special S.O.S. package of Sweet Stuff from a lovely siren named Joni Davis who happens to be in the U.K. right now.

I met Joni because we are both musicians, and she wowed me from the first time I ever heard her sing. We've been fortunate to develop a sweet friendship in a roundabout way - she has been in London ever since the day after our last show together in October of last year, and we hardly knew each other then, but have become penpals since she's been gone. What a treat to get to know her!

She knows I've been struggling, and she also knows that music is one of the main forces that sustains me. And so she totally surpised me today with this package featuring organic dark chocolate, and some of her favorite music. Man, what a treat! I haven't made it all the way through the music yet because I want to enjoy each song as it comes... but so far there's Nina Simone, Tom Waits, Daniel Johnston, Jolie Holland... it's all right up my alley, it's all perfect, and it's so very much appreciated that I can hardly put it into words.

I am really looking forward to Joni's return to the U.S. so we can get to know each other better outside of cyberspace. We share a love of food and music, and I can't wait to make a fat feast together and sing some harmonies.

Until then, it's nice to know that occasionally the p.o. box holds something more than bills and junk mail! Hello, people! Send love letters, fancy treats, random thoughts, and whatever strikes your fancy (as long as it is nice!) to p.o. box 3231, Oakland, CA 94609. ok???

And by the way, go and listen to Joni's music, y'all! She will simultaneously hypnotize you and revitalizing your senses with her deep, gorgeous, rich and velvety voice and her dark, sublime songs. I know I'm a little bit biased, but I swear I'd say that even if I wasn't!

Cheers...

No comments: