Thursday, March 22, 2007

If you Try sometimes, you Get what you Need...

One of the highlights of my job is that I get to help plan the parties, and fortunately for all of us, we enjoy many parties. Today was Derek's birthday and, being fluent in Japanese and in love with Japanese culture, he requested sake. I learned from Carl, another of our co-horts well experienced in Japanese culture, that I should stay away from the sweeter sakes that are served warm, and go for something cold and dry. And so I did, and we had a lovely afternoon sake break, also featuring seaweed salad, wasabi peas, edamame, red bean jam cakes, and rice crackers. Seriously, I am the happiest grunt you ever met. Days like this, I adore my job.

But later, I got the hankering for sushi. Like, bad. A few of us were talking about sushi, sashimi, sukiyaki... and a few of us almost went out to eat some, but at the last minute I found myself heading home, lacking an eating partner and not sure if I felt like venturing out on my own.

After a lovely near-sunset walk with Miss Nono and two beloved furry creatures, I found myself running out in a sashimi-crazed daze. I called both Kathleen and Anton to ask them the name of that place they love in the Grand-Lake area. I reached both of their machines. And I headed out the door feeling partially starving and excited to eat, and partially not feeling up for heading out on my own, but not wanting to let that stop me....

And so off to Grand-Lake I drove, and followed my Spidey senses around the lake until I found Coach Sushi, which I was pretty sure was the place both Kathleen and Anton had mentioned. And as I was walking through the door, dreaming of hamachi, who did I spot but Kathleen and Anton, beaming smiles and welcoming me to join them! A true moment of delightfully perfect timing.

And the food was splendid, the hamachi was so delicate it was like sinking your teeth into custard, and the cold dry sake hit the spot, and the company was so warm and welcoming. I wasn't even sure of what I wanted when I set out to greet this day, but I can say one thing for sure - I got what I needed, and boy am I thankful for that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Berg. Hey you Meatball, I love japanese food. I'm sorry I missed the party.

There is a place next to the Grand lake that has a really good price on my favorite, Sake Sashimi. I don't know the name of the place. A most healing meal.