Saturday, August 05, 2006

Obsessed with Songs

Wow, what a day.

Our little Immersion Composition Society lodge is called Iconolodge, and we have loosely around 10 or 12 folks who meet quite irregularly after a day's work of dedicated songwriting and recording. We spend the evening together listening to the fruits of our labors, shaking our heads in amazement and laughing uproariously over the amazing and insane art that comes out of each of us.

Being turned on to this community of songwriters and this approach to songwriting has been one of the most amazing, most inspiring things that has ever happened to me. It has also been one of the most terrifying and humbling experiences I have ever known. One thing is certain; it has changed my approach to songwriting and creativity forever and I cannot thank my friends Michael Mellender and Nicholas Dobson enough for inviting me to do ICS for the first time.

Today my 4-track broke after I completed my first song, and I bit the bullet and did what I've been wanting to do for several years now - I bought a digital 8-track recorder! And what's more amazing, I managed to figure out how to work it, and crank out another 2 songs by the time 8 o'clock rolled around and my fellow songwriters started to arrive! For a luddite like me, this is nothing short of a miracle! But of course, this happened only by my sacrificing the urge to cook a 4 course meal for my beloved guests, or at the very least, some tasty appetizers. All day long I was fussing with cables and wires and levels, as the big bowl of nuts, seeds, dried fruit and oats stared blankly at me from their big bowl in the kitchen, as if to say, "We are waiting for you to make us just a little more delicious...". Or, something like that.... Well, that was my day. Granola adventures will be coming soon, but for tonight, I'm basking in song.

1 comment:

Emily Coker said...

and now.... the four track is mine.. all mine. Muuuhahahaha