Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Mole Cabaret

Mole Cabaret

I had high hopes for Mole #2 - I was so intrigued by the addition of plantains that it almost didn't bother me that the recipe didn't call for any onions or garlic (what can I say? I'm Italian). I also decided to do a little improvising by roasting fresh poblano peppers instead of using dried. The result? A syrupy sweet, thick nut buttery mess. Now don't get me wrong; it tasted pretty wonderful, but it didn't taste like mole. Of course I'm no expert... in fact, I'm just learning. But it was such a letdown after the flavor explosion of Mole #1. Mole #2 was all sweet, no heat.

I'm sure my using fresh roasted peppers didn't help. I even added half a dozen soaked dried anchos to bring up the heat, but to no avail. I think the combination of a pound of raisins and three plantains was just overkill, even before the chocolate was added. Ah well...that's why they call it recipe testing!

Two down, one more to go.

As I'm writing this, I'm enjoying the soon to be released album from local artist Tara Linda. What spooky loveliness. This woman's voice is like a cool glass of water, and her soulful cabaret is the perfect soundtrack to a lazy afternoon....the kind where you fall asleep in the grass and find yourself in the middle of bizarre circus dreams, and you're not quite sure if that lovely accordion wielding siren is coming to save you or poison you, but you can't help but want her to come closer....

No comments: