Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Slow-Braised Chard

Wow, this month is flying right by, sans alcohol! The first week was rough; the second week was better; now I'm almost finished with the third week and it's been the easiest yet. I expect the fourth week will be a breeze.

But, I digress! I'm here to tell you about my favorite new way to eat my greens. My friend Jamie from work mentioned that there is a delicious recipe for slowly braised chard in Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, and as always in all manners culinary, he was right. That Jamie is a smart man (he's also helping me create my own cookbook, but that's another story!).

Tonight was a cold, cold winter night and once I got home from work and cranked the heat and got into my bathrobe, no way was I going to leave the house again (in case anyone out there had any illusions that I might flit about the kitchen whipping up culinary delights while looking stylish and sexy, I'm here to dispel that myth!).

So I had to use what I had on hand and thusly, I altered the recipe a teeny bit, using toasted and ground coriander instead of cilantro, but it still tasted fabulous. I also used less oil and salt than the recipe suggested. Served it over herbed basmati rice, and savored every bite.

Here is the recipe with my adaptations:

2 large bunches chard, about 2 pounds, leaves sliced into 1 inch slivers and stems diced
1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
1 generous swirl of olive oil, roughly 2 tablespoons
3/4 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon coriander seeds, toasted and ground
1 garlic clove pounded into a paste along with 1/2 t. salt

Place all the ingredients in a very large, heavy skillet with a couple pinches of salt. Add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup water. Cover tightly and cook over low heat for 45 minutes - yes that's right, 45 minutes, hence the title slow-braised... definitely worth the wait. Lift the lid a couple times during the 45 minutes to ensure there is enough liquid, and add more if needed.

Enjoy!

No comments: