Thursday, July 12, 2007

Reno is Not for Sleeping





Yep, it's good to be back. Yesterday I drove a good 650 miles with my lovely dog as a companion. We listened to whatever tunes we could find over the Idaho and Nevada airwaves, which included such hits from the vault as Brick House by the Commodores, Halfbreed by Cher, and everyone's favorite Dust in the Wind by Kanas, which turned out to be perfectly appropriate when we blew through a massive dust storm near Winnemucca, NV.


I was so damn happy when we finally arrived in Reno, dreaming of a quiet place to rest my head for the evening after more than 9 hours of driving.














But see, the Motel 6 where we stayed was not quite spa-like. Oh no.... it was loud and creepy and the kind of place where you find yourself feeling ESPECIALLY grateful for your canine companion. I certainly was. But I still found the need to take the precautionary measures of blockading the door with a chair, and calling my brother and four of my friends to let them all know exactly where I was, just in case the monsters crawled out from under the bed and swallowed me up in the night.



To comfort myself, I wrote a song about a germ-phobic person (gee, I don't know ANYONE like that) who wants to dip themselves from head to toe in Purell in order to protect themselves from the cooties of the creepy Motel 6 bedspread. It was a great way to both distract myself and laugh at my neurotic ways.


There are more pics to come, and tales of beautiful scenery and good times taking place in Idaho, Wyoming and Montana. But right now, I have to make up for the sleep I didn't get last night in Reno...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

*waves from Reno*

:D

Anonymous said...

Heh I just looked closer to the picture. I was over near that way yesterday.

That is a scary looking place. I once saw people having sex on the bus bench out in front of it. In broad day light. Older folks at that too.

You just never know what you'll see. *L*

I wish I'd known you were coming. You know up the street at the Atlantis you could have gotten a cheapie motel room for $35. It's a nice place to stay and they have rooms in the hotel and the motel for a variety of rates. They take Doggies at the motel rooms too I believe. Just an FYI next time you are traveling through. Plus we can hook up and I'll take you some place nifty for dinner. :D

*OtterHuggles*

Soup and Song said...

Oh my god Ms. Otter!!

I'm such a dope; I forgot you lived there. I also have other friends in Reno but I was just wrecked and in need of a place to crash, but we can see how far that got me, eh?

The next morning, I was so proud of myself for finding my way to the Pneumatic Diner only to find that it was CLOSED until 11 am, and I dearly wanted to hightail it back home, so I blew off breakfast.

But indeed, I will be in touch next time I make it to your neck of the Otter Woods!

xoxo