Thursday, February 08, 2007

Cayenne, My Friend


So the sick bug got under my skin and stayed there, beginning its journey in the form of a very, very, VERY bad sore throat. It felt like I'd consumed gasoline or a handful of nails every time I tried to swallow.... or rather, every time I tried to NOT swallow, unsuccessfully because really, it's hard to not swallow! It's a natural act! It's almost as if the very thought of not swallowing, causes the impulse to swallow! Needless to say, I was in a great deal of pain.

To make matters worse, I had a gig that night and hey, the show must go on. And so it did. I somehow managed to sing remarkably well considering the state I was in, but by the time it was over, I was ragged and shaking. Couldn't get home fast enough. But when I did, I promptly did an internet search to find some sort of natural remedy for sore throat relief, and stumbled upon this site.

It was there that I was reminded of the wonderful healing powers of cayenne pepper.

It may seem counter-intuitive to use cayenne to soothe a throat that is already feeling like it's on fire, but trust me... it works! Mine is not to explain how it works - I just know that it does!

Just take a little sprinkling of cayenne and drop it into warm water and gargle with it and then spit it out. Keep doing this every 15 minutes in very acute cases. I'm tellin' ya, it worked for me. By the time I collapsed onto the couch, the edge of the pain was wearing off. And the next morning, though I still felt mightily shitty, I kept on using this remedy, and my throat started to feel better and better.

It's been a lingering kind of cold so I'm still not feeling 100% well, but the cayenne really did the trick in keeping my throat from turning against me, as it was trying so hard to do. So... Yay for spice!

No comments: