Tuesday, September 02, 2008

How 'Bout Them Apples?

Happiness is a big bowl of perfect apples, and so lately I've been very happy indeed. 



I stumbled upon these apples at the Berkeley Bowl last week, bought 2 of them and devoured them instantly upon returning home, and found myself rushing out the next day to stock up.









They were labeled "pesticide free, non-irrigated Macintosh apples from Watsonville, CA".  And for the life of me, I can't seem to remember the name of the farm, but I'll report back later this week when I go to buy another batch.

As far as I can tell, non-irrigated is the same as dry-farmed, wherein the fruits or vegetables are deprived of water at a certain point in the growing cycle, which makes for a very concentrated flavor.   And hey, it's good for the environment too!

These apples are everything I love in an apple - they're crisp and juicy and tart and sweet, the perfect snack on a blisteringly hot summer day.  If you're reading this and are lucky enough to live within close proximity to the Berkeley Bowl, hightail it over there and stock up!  I think you'll be glad you did.

No comments: