Thursday, February 28, 2008

Super-bugs and Lemon Caesar

Oh people, have I been sick. Sicker than I can remember being, for something like 25 days now and counting. Too sick to enjoy life, too sick to enjoy food. Never wanting to look at another can of soup again, or a thermometer.... you get the picture. I haven't been able to post anything because there has been no culinary or musical fun in my life! I'm hoping that is going to change in the not too distant future, but until then, here's a little something to tide us all over. It's my friend Steve Lucky's recipe for a yummy lemon Caesar dressing. I'm sure it would perk me up if only I had the energy to make it. Maybe you do, and if so, enjoy! Don't give up on this blog! I hope March will be much more promising than February has been. Here's Steve's recipe, verbatim:

3 organic lemons
1 head of garlic
1.5 oz (3/4 tube) anchovy paste
Worcestershire sauce
Your favorite velvety olive oil (don’t use a spicy or complex one)


Wash and zest 2 lemons, then juice all 3

Peel about ¾ of the garlic and chop finely or press into the bowl of lemon juice and zest

I use Spanish anchovy paste in a tube, but of course you can use canned filets and mash them…in which case you may have to add some sea salt
Just pile it on to your garlic island in the lemon sea

Add 5 dashes of Worcestershire sauce

Wisk in some fine extra virgin olive oil. I usually use about 750 ml (3/4 bottle) for this recipe, but start tasting after about ½ the bottle is whisked in. Keep whisking in oil until the acidity is bearable, then stop…you want it to have some bite. Adjust garlic and anchovy paste to taste.

I usually use hearts of Romaine, radicchio, and arugula, but this dressing is great with just a head Romaine, dark leaves and all. But no matter what the greens, I consider Parmesan reggiano an absolute must!

Optional: take a portion of the dressing that you will use just for this meal and whisk in one egg yolk for a truly decadent semi-classic Caesar experience

No comments: