Friday, November 10, 2006

Duets



Miss NoNo posed an interesting question last night.

We were listening to the stunning vocal stylings of Joni Davis at the Starry Plough. I highly recommend giving her a listen; her voice is deep and rich and lusty - somehow calling to mind dark chocolate and cabernet and endless days of rain. She is full of soul, and one gets the feeling upon listening to her tales of dark strangeness that hers is a very old soul.

I also got the feeling, while listening to her cover a Nick Cave song, that she could really give Nick a run for his money. Now there's two people that I'd like to hear perform a duet together!

So the two-part question Miss NoNo posed was this: If you could perform a duet with anyone, living or dead, who would it be, and what is the song?

It didn't take me long to come up with my answer - I'd sing Amazing Grace w/ Jeff Buckley. Funny, I just did a Google search to find a link to Jeff Buckley, and had no idea that there's a documentary about his life, entitled Amazing Grace! Alas, my duet w/ Jeff will have to happen in another life, for he left this one far too soon - but not before leaving behind a spectacular musical legacy, thankfully for those of us who have been blown away by his songs and his beautiful, other-worldly voice.

Ok, there's my answer - now I'd love to hear yours!

1 comment:

Emily Coker said...

I will get back to you on that.