Monday, March 10, 2008

Organize those spices

I thought I'd share this little tip that has helped me organize my spices. I originally found the tip in Cook's Illustrated magazine in the reader suggestions section, and this is my adaptation.

Usually I like to buy my spices whole and toast and grind them myself. Consequently, I end up with lots of little bags which used to end up in a messy pile in my cupboard. Well no more, thanks to this little tip!

Just place each spice in its own little ziplock bag, and tape a bit of card stock on the top. The original suggestion was to use filing tabs, which is a great idea also but I just used what I had on hand.

Then, you alphabetize the spices, and place them in a shallow box (a shoe box works beautifully) and keep it in your cabinet or in a drawer. Now you can always find the spice you need (assuming you know the alphabet, that is!).

It's looking like Spring has sprung, and I'm very happy to report that I feel fully recovered and strong again. Hence, I've spent many an hour in the kitchen recently, so stay tuned for reports on homemade pickled onions, orange and lemon marmalade, limoncello, and more!

No comments: