Sunday, September 30, 2007

Winning and Losing

There is so bloody much to catch up on, that I scarcely know where to begin.

There was a chili cook off and I won second place out of around twenty entries, which on the one hand makes me glad, and on the other hand makes the little doubting voices chime in to say "...second place! story of your life! Second place = loser!".

And then of course there's a rational voice that chimes in to remind me that second is still a pretty good achievement in the scheme of things, and then, a third voice speaks up to say "...Jesus, why the competition? Why the need to win? Why not just be ok the way you are? Who gives a bloody damn if anybody likes you, or what you do, or what you create? The only thing 'loser' about you is that you're worrying so much about not being the winner...'".

And then there's even a fourth voice that says "...do you know how lucky you are that you even get to do things like play music with your friends and have the money to buy grass-fed sirloin to make chili in the first place?". Cause so many people don't. So many people would kill to be able to do the things that so many of us get to do. And we should never take these things for granted. And yet, somehow, we do...

Alas, I have nothing more profound than this to say tonight, and tomorrow, I shall post the Number Two Winning Chili Recipe for all the world to enjoy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe your father would like some! I bet he'd be pretty darn proud you earned second place!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do know how others often take life and it's "googies" for grantide. I actually think about it every day when I step outside my door. It's nice you took a moment to notice it, too.

Soup and Song said...

Ha ha... well perhaps I'll have to make some for my father then. Or at least post the recipe so dad can make some himself. I'll get to that later.